[IPython-user] Re: [IPython-dev] I need feedback: new escape for @magics?

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu Sep 30 11:46:55 CDT 2004

Prabhu Ramachandran schrieb:

>     >> What do people think?  If I don't hear any arguments against,
>     >> I'll leave the choice with option 1.
>
>     AS> I think ':' is too good for the purpose (it's much easier to
>     AS> type then the rest, which seems a waste given that I suspect
>     AS> that almost no-one will ever type it -- I at least normally
>     AS> find no need to explicitly prefix the magic methods). So I'd
>     AS> rather save it for the future and go with % (or &) instead.
>
> That is an excellent point.  I've also never really needed to type '@'
> to prefix any of the magic.

OK, I'll go along with '%' then, and leave ':' aside for some as-yet-undecided
future use.  It is true that explicit magic escaping should almost never be
necessary, so a good character shouldn't be wasted on it.

Again, I really appreciate the feedback from everyone on this.  It's a
relatively minor point, but I'd rather not make a decision that later feels
like a wart.

Regards,

f.