[IPython-dev] Re: [FWD] An interesting take on the Notebook Problem

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Mon Aug 1 11:21:13 CDT 2005

On Monday 01 August 2005 14:58, Robert Kern wrote:
> random.seed() deterministically sets the whole state from an
> integer/long. Calling random.seed() should be enough.
That's what I thought, too.  However, I tried that with a unit-testing program
which draws a lot more than 20 numbers, and there was a difference (fatal for
me).  That is the whole reason for my posting, because what you wrote was
exactly my understanding of a "seed".

*fiddling around* Strange, I can't reproduce it.  I even tried

  hash(tuple([random.random() for i in range(4000)]))

Even better so.  Strange memory.  Never mind, sorry for the noise. ;-|

Maybe my program was non-deterministic in another way.  Probably it was me
calling it non-deterministic'ly though. ;-)

Greetings,
  Hans