[IPython-dev] small interim info

Toni Alatalo antont at an.org
Fri Jul 29 09:05:16 CDT 2005

Toni Alatalo wrote:

(got married last weekend :) and had a little holiday after that,
discussed related things in private with mentors, but bringing the
discussion to public now that got back to work - first just to tell a
little where am heading)

>read the messages to get myself back on the map, but am not all clear yet
>what to tackle next. probably can get going by trying out Tzanko's app and
>studying it again to see how it uses Robert's backend, and finding out
>what is missing/should be improved there.

did that today - most of the time unfortunately went into fighting with
getting a right version of wxwidgets & wxpython working for the right
python version (had to modify the 2.6 in debian experimental to compile
for 2.4, as default is still 2.3, and then had a strange prob. with
imports but all those are finally solved now)

studied how nbshell ipnDocument uses notabene.notebook, and know from
before most of how notabene 'writers' work. unfortunately couldn't
experiment with using the 'live in the GUI ' notabene.notebook object
interactively from the interpreter, i wonder if there's a way? i mean to
do something like this:

antont at vesuri:~/development/ipython/nbshell/trunk/nbshell$ python2.4
Python 2.4.1 (#2, May  5 2005, 11:32:06)
[GCC 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-12)] on linux2
 >>> import Main
 >>> Main.start()

(type things in the editor)

and then:

Main.app.notebook.my_experimental_notebook_method()

?

currently if i e.g. quit the wx app, the prompt returns ok, but the
interpreter namespace is in a pretty strange state:

 >>> Main
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
NameError: name 'Main' is not defined
 >>> import Main
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: __import__ not found

that is (again) pretty irrelevant, but would be just a nice way to try
new things with the document objects without adding buttons to the GUI,
but still being able to edit the actual docs in the GUI. anyhow testing
the notebook api without the GUI interactively  of course works
normally, and  saving test files from the GUI seems to work, so no
showstoppers there.

>but if there are suggestions / TODOs for what i should focus on, starting
>latest on Monday, please do tell.

unless adviced otherwise, will continue with the the document output
(e.g. latex) components.

>~Toni

same.