[IPython-dev] Towards IPython 1.0, the famous big cleanup

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Sun May 15 19:08:07 CDT 2005

On May 15, 2005, at 8:50 AM, Ville Vainio wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 14:49 -0600, Fernando Perez wrote:
>
>>> Yeah, but it's still "magic system". It could be just a bunch of
>>> normal
>>> python objects, visible normally, without a need to lookup a special
>>> dictionary of magic methods (and another for aliases, etc.).
>>
>> Well, I still think it's worth making them special and isolated, for
>> a number
>> of reasons:
>>
>> - I don't want to pollute the user's namespace with these names.
>> Currently
>
> Perhaps different kinds of callables (magics, aliases, etc.) could be
> put in different modules, and the interactive prompt would just do a
> search of a list of modules in a configurable order when the command
> starts with a name that is not immediately visible.

[...]

and by now you've basically described the system I have in mind :)

Yes, there's the need for a table of names per type of special
callable, some escaping mechanism for explicit disambiguation (at least
for magics), and a bit of extra metadata here and there (command line
args, how to access ipython itself, etc.)

I _will_ do away with all the funny name mangling, and try to reuse as
much of the same structure as possible for magics, aliases, etc.