[IPython-dev] Windows share patch

Jörgen Stenarson jorgen.stenarson at bostream.nu
Wed Nov 2 14:04:05 CST 2005

Hi,

The patch still works as expected for me. I have not run into any
problems yet.

Fernandez I think I have an idea that will make it possible for you to
test the patch even if you are not on a windows network with your
windows machine. By enabling sharing on some folder on your computer (do
this by right clicking on the folder and choosing share (I'm not sure
about the exact wording since I'm on a swedish computer)). Check the
share permissions to see that there are reasonable defaults that apply
to your account. Then you should be able to access that folder via an
explorer window as \\COMPUTER\FOLDER. If this works then you could try
it from the command prompt:

cd \\COMPUTER\FOLDER  will fail because UNC paths are not allowed
pushd \\COMPUTER\FOLDER should work by automatically mounting a drive
(e.g. Z:/Folder)
popd takes you back

If this works your ready to try it from IPython.

This approach works for me when I'm connected to my home network (with
only one apple computer on it).

Of course you should be careful about leaving shared folders open for
anyone to connect to.

/Jörgen