[IPython-dev] Debugger patch

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Tue Nov 29 14:20:02 CST 2005

Hi Vivian,

Vivian De Smedt wrote:
> Fernando,
>
> Few times ago I send to the IPython mailing list a patch proposition
> that in my opinion improve the python debugger usability in the spirit
> of IPython.
>
>  - it make the completion working when IPython run in debugger mode,
>  - it colorize Python stack the same way IPython do for Exception stacks,
>  - it hide some of the stack level that that do not belong to the script
> being debugged (actually IPython levels not relevant for the developper)
>
> I was wondering if you still think it is worth valuable addition and if
> you plan to merge it into the IPython code?
>
> Since it impact more that one files you could consider the integration
> as a long task.
> If it these kind of considerations that slow down the integration of the
> patch I'll be glad to split my patch by feature to make the integration
> process more transparent and less stressful :-)

I'll certainly be happy to integrate this into ipython, and splitting it into
reasonable chunks will help me a lot.  As I mentioned to you, hacking pdb is
quite unpleasant, so this may take some effort.

The current status with ipython is that we have a fair amount of new things
sitting in SVN, so at some point I should make a new release.  All new work is
going to take place on the chainsaw branch, but I plan on picking pieces from
trunk to put in there rather than refactoring wholesale: this will lead to a
cleaner design, I hope.  It also means that I'm less worried about keeping the
current codebase alive for a while, since I won't try to make full merges: the
new code is being structured very differently, and I'm only pulling the good
pieces out of the existing one.

For a new release, Ville's patch is still in the queue, along with anything
you may submit.  I have all of Jorgen's wildcard work already committed, and a
few more things sitting on my Inbox that need to be looked at and committed as
well.

So in summary: send it in, but broken into small pieces.  Please keep the
guidelines from:

http://projects.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/wiki/DeveloperGuidelines

in mind when you make the patches.  They are simple, and meant to keep all of
us working on code rather than dealing with patch mixups.

Cheers, and many thanks for the interest in tackling a beast as nasty as  pdb!