[IPython-dev] smart indent, multiline statement history and multiline statement edition

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Mon Oct 3 08:00:32 CDT 2005

On Sunday 02 October 2005 18:25, Vivian De Smedt wrote:
> Since autoindent is pretty enough to propose you identation each time
> you could need one or to say it differently when autoindent is on the
> tab touch is unnecessary I propose a smartindent mode (which could just
> the autoindent mode if you like it).
>
> In that mode the autoindent proposition of leading space is forgotten if
> the first character of a line is a space or a tabulation.
Nice idea indeed.

I wonder what we can do about another use case which I stumble over
repeatedly:

Usually, I like tabs in my code files.  However, when cut&pasting from
(X)Emacs into IPython, readline interprets the <tab>s as completion requests.

AFAICS, a smart indent mode could help: It could simply interpret tabs at the
beginning of the line different from tabs after some non-whitespace
characters!?  (/me hopes that readline does not make this too difficult)

I am very much looking forward to such a thing indeed! :-)

--
Ciao, /  /                                                    .o.