[IPython-dev] [RFC] I want to fix some behaviour. Hints needed

Ville Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 10:23:12 CST 2006

On 1/13/06, Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> wrote:

> Let's not put this into genutils, that file is already too crowded, and this
> is purely platform-specific code.  Instead, go ahead and make a winutils.py
> module, where all whe win32 tricks will be nicely isolated.  You can move
> what's in winconsole today into that one.
>
> This keeps the code cleaner, and avoids unnecessary os checks in genutils.
> Think of how os.path is implemented in the stdlib.

Makes sense - perhaps we should have "platutils" for platform specific
utility functions, and do either "from win32platutils import *" or
"from posixplatutils import *".

The win32platutils still needs to do it's own switching according to
whether win32all or ctypes are available, but it's not a huge chore.
Both should also have all the same functions (with dummy
implementation if need be), but that's rather easy to control too.

--
Ville Vainio    http://tinyurl.com/2prnb
  Can't you see the world is burning