[IPython-dev] RFC: IPython.ipapi for "public" ipython API.

Ville Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 11:33:02 CST 2006

It's not immediately obvious where the extension points for ipython
are, so I figured we ought to have one module that user
extensions/config files would use to plug into ipython.

I'm of course thinking of

import IPython.ipapi as ip

ip.ipmagic("%alias ls ls -F")

def f(..): ...

ip.set_hook("editor",f)

def mymagic_impl(self,param):

ip.declare_magic("mymagic",mumagic_impl)

# takes place in working ns.

ip.exec("import os,sys")
ip.exec("from re import *")

It should be pretty easy to do (most funcs are just references to
existing funcs elsewhere), and it would help people willing to get
started quickly quite a bit.

--
Ville Vainio    http://tinyurl.com/2prnb
  Can't you see the world is burning