[IPython-dev] RFC: IPython.ipapi for "public" ipython API.

Ville Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 17:02:50 CST 2006

CC-ing to list...

On 1/14/06, Brian Granger <bgranger at scu.edu> wrote:

> different manner.  The reason is that the new IPython is designed to
> be used in a distributed and multiprocess environment - so
> customizations need to be able to be rolled out to IPython instances
> running on _different hosts_ or in diferent processes.

Ok; I thought it would be relayed via the mechanism through which
normal ipython "front end" would be speaking to back ends - i.e.,
ip.exec("import os") would do what a normal front end does and sends
the command to remote processes.

Remoting kills direct callback funcs, of course, so instead of

ip.set_hook("blah",mymod.myfunc)

it would need to be

ip.set_hook("blah","mymod.myfunc")

and mymod would need to be installed on all the machines.

> I don't think it is a problem to add some sort of API in trunk right
> now, but we should definitely be very clear that the API will likely
> go away in the future.  The customization capabilities will remain

Ok, no problem - as it stands, it would only be a low-effort
pedagogical move to have all customization in one place. Also, the
current configuration system frightens me, I just tried adding a
config option to ipmaker with poor results and would like to offer an
alternative (for myself if noone else). :-)

--
Ville Vainio    http://tinyurl.com/2prnb
  Can't you see the world is burning