[IPython-dev] Magics, aliases now use raw strings!

Jörgen Stenarson jorgen.stenarson at bostream.nu
Wed Jan 18 15:32:15 CST 2006

Ville Vainio skrev:
> On 1/12/06, Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Ville.  I suspect this will matter more to win32 users, who have to
>> deal with \ path separators.

This reminds me of a few changes I have done to Gary Bishops readline
module.

1. Added paste from clipboard. Two version one direct paste and one that
tries to do some smart modifications of the pasted data. If it looks
like a path (essentially short string <250bytes, no tabs or newlines)
then all \ are replaced by / all spaces are escaped by \. If the pasted
string contains tabs it assume you want to paste tabseparated data and
will build a nested list structure if all data is numeric it will be a
call to array as well (quite handy for pasting data from excel).

2. Fixed support for some international characters (i.e. swedish
åäöÅÄÖ). This is quite a hack but it makes it possible to type most path
names I encounter. The hack requires a switch from DOS codepage 850 to
the codepage that is standard on windows on my machine 1252 and a change
of font in the console window to lucida console. (Code page is changed
by chcp 1252). For some reason (even in plain interactive python) if I
try to open a file with a name containing swedish characters it won't
work unless I do this switch of code pages.

3. I have also added ctrl-k ctrl-y. At this time they are connected to
the clipboard, I don't know if this is standard readline behaviour or not.

4. and some stuff I don't remember

I did send patches for this to Gary some time before christmas but I
haven't heard from him and there have not been any changes in CVS on
sourceforge. Does any one knows if the email in the setup.py is correct?

I could post it to this list if there is an interest.

/Jörgen