[IPython-dev] Magics, aliases now use raw strings!

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Jan 18 16:05:58 CST 2006

Ville Vainio wrote:
> On 1/18/06, Jörgen Stenarson <jorgen.stenarson at bostream.nu> wrote:
>

>>2. Fixed support for some international characters (i.e. swedish
>>åäöÅÄÖ). This is quite a hack but it makes it possible to type most path
>

> This is great stuff! Someone else said to have done it but it's a long
> while ago, and nothing came of it.
>
> I say we put a fork of the windows readline on ipython svn (though not
> under ipython tree). The author of readline said a while ago that it's
> open source, and he wondered why people can't get around to fixing it
> on their own and put out their own version. We shouldn't wait for the
> author to put out the patched version, this is a feature that is
> sorely needed by quite a few.

Well, actually we could ship it as a subpackage:

import IPython.winreadline

This would also shield us from collisions with stray readline-like libraries
which are out there and have caused problems in the past.  Adding this as a
subpackage to the tree is trivial, and since this module is pure python, it
won't cause any problems either at distribution nor at install time.

It adds a little to the package, but it's just 20Kb, that's peanuts these
days, even if it gets carried around in *nix pacakges.

I can send Gary a note to this effect, but I remember he explicitly said he
was Ok with the idea, as he has little time for readline maintenance.  We'll
keep all original authorship notices, as well as adding a credit in the manual.

Let's leave this for next week though: I want to push 0.7.1 this weekend, so I
don't have any funny surprises on my trip.  So please don't commit it yet,
until we've shipped 0.7.1 (or work on a branch if you want to get started, SVN
branching is cheap and easy).