[IPython-dev] winreadline

Ville Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 05:36:44 CST 2006

On 1/21/06, Jörgen Stenarson <jorgen.stenarson at bostream.nu> wrote:

> Is it possible to get a separate branch/place in the svn tree now so we
> can get going. The sharing/comparing between Vivian and me would become
> easier. Then we could integrate to trunk after 0.7.1.

Yes, I can create it. I assume this is ok for Fernando as well?

I thought the right place would be next to ipython,nbdoc etc. here:

http://projects.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/browser

> If we don't integrate winreadline into ipython directly but keeps it as
> a separate project then perhaps we should use another package name than
> readline just to avoid clobbering other peoples readline. The drawback

What's it going to be? winreadline, wreadline? I assume it's always
going to be Windows-specific.

> being other packages looking for readline won't find it. Or we could
> just avoid automatic install.

We can ship readline.py that does

from winreadline import *

And suggest the users should put it somewhere in their search path if
they want to
use the library with non-ipython projects.

I'll create the svn tree the moment Fernando okays it, and we can get
the ball rolling!

--
Ville Vainio - http://tinyurl.com/2prnb
http://vainio.blogspot.com