[IPython-dev] Editing manifest.in

Ville Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 13:53:20 CST 2006

On 1/22/06, Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> wrote:

> No: the trick this relies on, which is that it says
>
> import IPython
>
> and since the 'IPython/' directory is directly below, it imports it right
> away, will cease to work very soon:
>
> http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0328.html

I don't think it will - the pep suggests that intra-package *module*
imports will break. This script relies on the IPython *package* being
under the current dir, and that will definitely continue working.
Current-dir-in-pythonpath is not going away soon.

> On Unix, or even on windows with NTFS, there is no need for this at all, you
> just use a symlink.  I'm constantly switching between the development version

It's not quite so simple with NT. Only hard links are supported
(IIRC), and absolutely nobody uses them.

> All you need to do is to drop a symlink to the version you are currently
> running in a directory which is in your PYTHONPATH.  This is what mine looks like:

It's still preferable for people who want to use it on Windows to not
have to do anything, just tar xzvf & go, if necessary.

> This solution will work on any system with symlinks, which only excludes
> FAT32.  Since the one you propose causes duplication of scripts, and will stop
> working anyway for 2.5, I think this is cleaner.

Incidentally, I only have fat32 partitions on my home Windows machine
(I dual boot, NTFS sucks with Linux). But that's not really the issue,
it's just the big improvement in convenience. I like to run "local"
ipython sessions that are separate from official installed ipython,
and having it working straight out of SVN and source distribution is
very handy.

It's also quite user friendly, for Windows users the intuitive
reaction after opening the tarball is double-clicking ipython.py.

--
Ville Vainio - http://tinyurl.com/2prnb
http://vainio.blogspot.com