[IPython-dev] %paste

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Mon Jan 23 15:01:17 CST 2006

Ville Vainio wrote:
> On 1/23/06, Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> wrote:
>

>>>I'm not sure how useful it would be, because -- at the start of line
>>>isn't a very useful python statement in the first place.
>>
>>What if it's in the middle of a triple-quoted string?
>

> It would rarely be in column one (the typical thing people paste are
> function/class definitions), and even if it was, my advice in that
> case would be to
> paste it in two parts. I already use the argument for something else.

You can't "paste in two parts" if the string is in the middle of code, as a
print statement.

> I'd go for "worse is better" and simplicity here. The user would
> probably be two lazy to provide a custom sentinel in the first place,
> esp. if he had to do it like '%paste -s @@@".

It's worth giving users the option to do it correctly, if they want to.  And
this doesn't change any of the default behavior (using an option such as -s).

After 0.7.1 is out and things calm down a little (a few weeks, at least), I'll
find a free minute to fix this in trunk/ to work correctly.