[IPython-dev] Magics that have return values, $$var=cmd simplification

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Tue Jan 24 13:08:51 CST 2006

Ville Vainio wrote:
> On 1/24/06, Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> wrote:
>

>>I'd suggest adding a test/ directory to ipython, where we can start at least
>>storing primitive testing scripts.  For now, even if it's just plain files
>>that we can copy/paste into a session to see whether we haven't totally blown
>>something would be good.  I've many times in the past made a seemingly
>

> I've also thought of this, it's something that has been lacking. We
> could go there and %run every file and report regressions... with some
> extra effort, we could also edit the files after-the-fact and add some
> "assert _.isfile()" conditions,

Yup.  At this point, ANY testing is better than we have :)

Some of these need to be pasted interactively and can't be scripted, because
we also need to check the behavior of autoindent and whatnot, but still.

But even an automatic script that does

ip = an_ipython_instance()
for file in dir_list('*.py'):
   ip.magic_run(file)