[IPython-dev] Suggestions for implementing parallel algorithms?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 01:30:36 CST 2006

Hey Albert,

On 11/13/06, Albert Strasheim <fullung at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all
>
> On Thu, 09 Nov 2006, Brian Granger wrote:
>
> > This sounds like a nice application of IPython1.  Fernando and I have
> > had a number of talks about this exact issue lately.  One things I
> > should say before all else.  In spite of there being years of research
> > in parallel computing and algorithms, there is basically no research
> > on *interactive* parallel computing.  I am not sure you need your
> > application to be interactive, but if you do, at some level, you are
> > in new territory.
>
> My application probably doesn't fall into the interactive category at
> present. But some speaker verification and identification systems could
> definately be used interactively.

Sorry for the silence... I'm currently working specifically on all of
this, for a large production code in molecular electronic structure
problems.  My private copy of ipython1 has some fixes and enhancements
to make this easier, and I'm writing a little toy example which I'll
commit shortly, and which I'm using to find out for myself what the
'best practices' should be.  We're all learning here, so I don't claim
these solutions will be better than anything else, but at least
they'll come from a production problem, and lots and lots of talks on
the phone and face to face with Brian.

Feel free to ping me of off-SVN copies of any of this if you want them early.

I'm starting to think of using HG for off-SVN development, so we can
all share dev trees more fluidly while SVN is used only for commits
ready for public consumption...
Would you like that?