[IPython-dev] making pdoc, pdef, and pinfo more generally useful (Was Re: Patches to use pydb instead of pdb for debugging)

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 10:35:39 CDT 2006

On 10/12/06, R. Bernstein <rocky at panix.com> wrote:

> I didn't do this initially because, well, I'm currently backed up in
> patches, what I have works and I don't want to destroy that, and
> adding my own version control on top of SVN checked-out sources is a
> bit whacky.

Not really all that whacky, esp. if the svn is for the "official,
stable version" that is expected to work rather predictably. Too bad
svn is not a distributed vcs...

I recommend bzr (bazaar-ng) for your "own", on-top-of-svn version
control, works really well with local versions of files and no need
for repository administration.

See http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/bzr.dev/tutorial.htm if you are interested.

> Which reminds me, in _ofind, any particular reasons why 1 and 0 are
> used for is_alias (and other seemingly boolean variables) rather than
> True/False? ;-)

I recall reading somewhere that 1 and 0 are "officially ok" as boolean
values. The fact that True and False are rather recent in python
speaks for itself...