[IPython-dev] making pdoc, pdef, and pinfo more generally useful (Was Re: Patches to use pydb instead of pdb for debugging)

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Mon Oct 23 22:20:33 CDT 2006

When you write "ipython svn to depend on a module.." it may be that
either I haven't explained how the current patches work well enough,
or you are overdramatizing the situation.

There is no dependency on pydb. If you don't have pydb you get pdb. If
you do have pydb and it isn't the right version, you still get pdb.

That said, another release will be put out on Oct 27th or thereabouts,
anyway. Recently I put together a showmedo demo:
 http://showmedo.com/videos/video?name=pythonBernsteinPydbIntro&fromSeriesID=28

In that I use a feature someone requested that is currently only in
CVS. But also possibly the pydb release will also facilitate things
for ipython.

As for easy_install, I think we need a working setup.py. The setup.py
provided in another thread fails for a number of reasons. I don't
doubt that it will happen someday.