[IPython-dev] Amazon EC2 and ipython

Peter Skomoroch peter.skomoroch@gmail....
Wed Apr 18 15:41:46 CDT 2007

Brian,

Thanks for the update

1.  What MPI implementation are you using?

-I'm using MPICH2 right now, but also have run LAM MPI on EC2...If there are
any preferences/dependencies beyond these let me know and I will add the
additional libraries.

2.  Have you tried mpi4py?  At this point it blows all the other
python mpi bindings out of the water.  I highly recommend it.

-No, but I can install mpi4py on the images, no problem.  I've tried pypar
and have been using pyMPI because it had clean syntax, some good
documentation, and it could handle gather/scatter of numpy arrays (which was
the main thing I needed).  I'm always open to switching to a better library,
and I've noticed a bunch of projects using mpi4python. What is the advantage
to mpi4py right now?  Does it have better performance/ actively developed?

3.  Can you make the image publicly available?

Sure thing, just let me know when there is a version of ipython1 which is
good for a release and I'll post an image to Amazon.