[IPython-dev] Status of pyreadline release for win32?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Apr 19 00:13:02 CDT 2007

On 4/18/07, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/19/07, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > If everything else is OK, and since this required a fix to ipython
> > itself rather than just pyreadline, perhaps we should quickly cut a
> > 0.8.1 release, that would include an official pyreadline as well.
>
> Well, I was running pyreadline from the svn so I don't know whether
> Jorgen had already fixed something. I'm all in favor of a quick 0.8.1,
> esp. considering that the current version (0.8.0) is totally broken.

Would you care to clarify how exactly the current version is 'totally
broken'?  As far as I know, we have these bugs (already fixed in SVN
and the rc that I just uploaded):

1. crash in *nix when readline is absent.  Certainly a serious bug,
though not commonly encountered since most *nix setups have readline.

2. error message under win32 when run as

c:\path\to\ipython foo.py

but it actually otherwise runs.

3. Anything else?

In what sense *EXACTLY* is it 'totally broken'?  I'd really like to
know, since I just finished teaching a 2-day workshop where over 30
people used it intensively for 2 days.  I didn't realize they'd been
using a 'totally broken' tool all that time.

Getting FUD from outsiders is one thing, but getting that from our own
developers is a bit surprising, to say the least.  Any particular
reason we're getting this from you?

> I think we should do the thing we did before, i.e. put up an
> unannounced 0.8.1 in the 'testing' directory and let the people here
> on the mailing list try it out for a few days.

I just uploaded test versions at the usual location:

http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/testing/

Jorgen, I changed the pyreadline version number just to distinguish it
easily, but otherwise just uploaded these straight from your current
code.  Please have a look at what I did last week, since I was running
blind on that code, without a win32 box to test.

So if we have no problem reports for a few days, then we can tag and
release this as 0.8.1 to clean up the readline problems on all
platforms and have something stable for a while.