[IPython-dev] headless IPython

Andrew Dalke dalke@dalkescientific....
Thu Apr 19 17:32:05 CDT 2007

On Apr 19, 2007, at 8:56 AM, Toni Alatalo wrote:
> in the ipython notebook work we also embedded images to the
> notebooks, that could be made with an interactive python session. i
> did not see that 'graphical repr' idea then, though, but iirc we
> put the plots using explicit commands that ended up in the notebook
> xml as tags like <ipython-figure number="1" type="png"
> filename="foo.png" caption="This is my fantastic plot."/> (that
> example from http://projects.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/wiki/
> NotebookXML)

Let me stress here that I'm not talking strictly about an image.
If ChemDraw is available and the results adapter is configured for
it then I want to see my compound structure using that plugin.

Suppose I have a "CSVReader" class, using the csv module for the
underlying IO.  I was thinking that

 >>> data = CSVReader("input.dat")
 >>> data

would have an adapter from the CSVReader class into an HTML table,
probably with some Javascript for simple sorting, and a download
link to get the data formatted for Excel.

> i dont know the details of how the pypy examples work, like do they
> use their javascript frontend somehow, but i guess you can take a
> look in case it seems worthwhile.

The PyPy people demoed a vt100 terminal interface written in
Javascript with enough support to run basic emacs.  I think
that would be useful as a wrapper/hook around os.system()
and similar calls which want a tty.

				Andrew
				dalke@dalkescientific.com