[IPython-dev] confirm_exit issue with scipy profile...

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Tue Aug 21 02:17:24 CDT 2007

On 8/21/07, Hans Meine <hans_meine@gmx.net> wrote:

> BTW: My (stock) ip_profile_sh already says:
> > # The import below effectively obsoletes your old-style ipythonrc[.ini],
> > # so consider yourself warned!
> >
> > import ipy_sane_defaults

Ok, that's probably an old version. It has been called ipy_defaults for a while.

> FWIW, I mostly prefer the old ipythonrc files -- I am only using import_mod
> and import_all (and import_some) anyways.
>
> import_mod is easy to replace with a real import without getting much longer,
> but import_all is a very convenient shortcut.

Yeah, the benefits of the new config files mostly become apparent with
less trivial cases. Of course you could add

def import_all(m): ip.ex('from %s import *' % m)

to the beginning of the file yourself.

> And -- please point out if I missed something -- although I would occasionally
> like to run arbitrary python code *in the user namespace*, the new config
> files need me to wrap it in string quotes for ip.ex(), no?
> (Losing syntax highlighting, automatic indentation etc. in my editor..)

Of course you can still put stuff in modules, and import them with ip.ex.

There is really nothing you "need" to do with the new style, apart
from verifying it's legal Python... and that's a good thing.