[IPython-dev] Update on IPython recent developments

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 14:06:14 CST 2007

On 1/25/07, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/24/07, Brian Granger <ellisonbg.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Thanks for the update, and for all the hard work you guys have put
> > > into the new ipython kernel so far!  I'm especially excited about the
> > > new test framework (they all pass here, woohoo!).
> >
> > Great, we are also very excited about passing tests.
>
> And I just got the last piece of the testing system that I wanted
> finished on my local tree.  I'll clean it up and commit tomorrow or
> Friday (I need to sleep), but this will make it easier to generate
> large, standalone doctest files (in addition to doctests inside
> modules of code).

Scratch that.  When I said 'last piece' above, it's because I'd given
up on the possibility of doctesting code that spawns subprocesses, due
to the fact that their stdout file descriptors are NOT the sys.stdout
of the original process.  This was stated in the 'limitations' section
here:

http://projects.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/browser/ipython/branches/saw/ipython1/test/ipdoctest.py

I now realized that there /is/ a solution to this problem using
pexpect, so before I commit the lot I'll solve this problem as well.
This will really leave us with a system where it will be /very easy/
to add doctests for pretty much any of ipython's functionality.  I'm
sure there will still  be a few dark corners, but I'm now determined
to reduce that count to zero.