[IPython-dev] pyreadline: getting callbacks for keypresses from pyreadline

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Jun 14 16:39:05 CDT 2007

On 6/14/07, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to register certain keys to certain functions that are
> called when that key is pressed? I'm thinking of something like:
>
> def my_translator(line, curpos):
>   return (line +"appended", curpos)
>
> readline.bind_translator("Alt-e", my_translator)
>
> where my_translator returns the new content for corrent line, along
> with cursor position.
>
> This could be used e.g. to launch external editor for current command
> line, something that seems to exist in Vi mode. We should rig the
> IPython default editor for something like this.

I think that GNU readline does allow this, but I'm not 100% sure.
Then, there's the question of whether it will be available to ipython
itself.  You can check the GNU readline docs and see if it's possible
via a call to

readline.parse_and_bind(" some syntax here to bind key->cmd ")

but I honestly don't really know (and can't check right now) if it works.