[IPython-dev] Tests for prefilter

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Wed Mar 7 15:00:54 CST 2007

On 3/7/07, Brian Granger <ellisonbg.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> One comment that may be a bit controversial.  I do think that moving
> forward, we need to get rid of cases in ipython's syntax where there
> is ambiguity.  This may (and I think should) mean that certain
> features are removed unless we can fully specify their behavior in all
> cases and provide full test coverage.  Fernando and Ville, any
> comments about this?  My own feeling is that as we refactor prefilter
> and friends we should focus on providing a framework that will make it
> easy to maintain/extent/test the core features of ipython.

I think the way forward is to remove as much core features as possible
(and push the features into the plugin/extension area), and not stress
too much about it. I don't think even magics should be too prominent
in ipython "core spec", and we shouldn't too much work into removing
features in a quest of consistency.