[IPython-dev] starting local ipengines works great but not remote ipengines

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sat Mar 10 02:18:52 CST 2007

On 3/9/07, Glen W. Mabey <Glen.Mabey@swri.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Having installed ipython1 on two different machines, I am struggling to
> get engines on one to connect to a controller on the other.
>
> However, connecting to local controllers works on both machines.  One is
> an AMD64 while the other is a P4.
>
> The only deviation that I have made from the build instructions is in
> the recommendation to use Zope Interface version 3.1.0c1, which gave
> an error when I tried to build it.  Version 3.3.0 worked with no issues.

I'm afraid I have no clue here; but Brian knows this code much better
than I do, and he might be able to help.

One thing we need to do is to modify all components to use the ipython
exception reporting system, so that we get better tracebacks than the
primitive ones python puts out by default.  That will  help a lot in
situations like these.

As a long shot: do you have any firewalls between these two boxes?
The engine is attempting a connection /into/ the controller, so if the
host where the controller is running has a firewall, it may well be
dropping the connection.

Sorry not to be of more assistance at this point...