[IPython-dev] igrid

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sat Mar 10 02:45:44 CST 2007

On 3/2/07, Walter Dörwald <walter@livinglogic.de> wrote:
> I've checked in igrid, the wxPython-based ipipe browser done by Nik
> Tautenhahn.
>
> We've tested igrid on Linux with wx 2.6 and wx 2.8 and on Windows with
> wx 2.7 and 2.8. igrid will be used as the default browser if wx is
> installed on the system, so testing it should be rather simple:
>
> In [1]: from ipipe import *
> In [2]: ils
>
> This should give a directory listing in a wx window.

A couple of comments:

1. You might want to make the WX part optional somehow.  It will be
really surprising when someone over a slow SSH link types ils and now
instead of a light, fast curses browser, a big WX app tries to squeeze
through the SSH link.

2. I tried using it with

ipython -wthread

but got all kinds of error messages.  It would be great if it could
work there, since then people could pop igrid browsers while retaining
normal control of their shell, much like matplotlib (with the WX
backend) or the Enthought tools work.

Do you think you can try to iron these wrinkles out for the (planned,
dates may slip) April 1 release of 0.7.4?  Feel free to open a ticket
on Trac for this.