[IPython-dev] Wiki being spammed to death, new user creation blocked

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Oct 12 02:14:26 CDT 2007

Hi all,

due to the recent spam flood on our wiki, I've just completely
disabled new account creation.  It's unfortunate, but the Moin
installation already had all the countermeasures available for Moin
installed (I consulted the Enthought admin on this) and Ryan James was
still having to do enormous amounts of cleanup all the time.  While
I'm very grateful to Ryan for this help, I'm sure he has better things
to do with his time than babysit the site for spam in Chinese.

I wrote a small script that permamently disabled every account I found
that looked to be spammer-related, so not only will they not be able
to create new ones, their old ones have now been locked out.  I also
deleted all the remaining spam I could find on the site, though by now
Ryan had mostly finished that unpleasant task.

In the future, if anyone wants to contribute to the wiki, you'll just
need to send me an email with a quick request indicating your desired
Wiki user name (=(in standard FirstnameLastname Wiki convention).
I'll try to be quick in making the accounts.

I'm sorry for this, and if anyone knows of a more robust and
conveninent solution for the long term, I'm all ears.