[IPython-dev] [Ipython-svndiff] 2706 - add zope profile

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Sep 4 13:12:48 CDT 2007

On 9/4/07, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/4/07, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > [ please all devs with commit rights read this message, there's an
> > important point at the end regarding licensing]
> >
> > this contribution is very nice, thanks to Stefan for giving it.  But
> > I'm a bit concerned about something:4
>
> Stefan, is it ok that we relicense this instance under BSD?

I think it's OK we leave it with his license, since in this case I
don't see a problem, as long as we include the actual license text, as
required by the license itself.

I'd also like a clarification from Stefan on the startup display
clause; as I said I think we're fine, but I want to make sure he
agrees.

> > I know none of us likes to spend time on this, but we must be careful.
>
> I don't think too much care is needed, really, esp. as far as
> extensions are concerned. We can add and drop them on whim, because
> distributing them is aggregation rather than linking (i.e. none of
> code shipped with IPython imports them).

By care I mean simply having a quick heads-up on list before we put a
new license in a commit, just so we all know it's happening at all,
and that we agree we didn't miss anything.  Even you make mistakes
sometimes :)

In this case, for example, the license *requires* the original text to
be distributed (not just a URL link) and that was not done in the
commit.  So technically, we're in violation of the license terms.  I
know it's a trivial fix right now (just adding the file), but that's
why I do NOT want license things to be done 'silently'.