[IPython-dev] [Ipython-svndiff] 2717 - improve callable alias inspection

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Sep 7 02:53:10 CDT 2007

On 9/6/07, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/6/07, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Yes, and it's a pain :->. It's preventing the completion to work on quite
> > > a few objects.
> >
> > Feel free to fix it, since it's a bug.  That's what commit rights are for :)
>
> "Errors should never pass silently, unless expicitly silenced"

Glad we agree.  Because this thread started precisely with me asking
why those exceptions were being silently (and unnecessarily, as I
pointed out with code) ignored.  We drifted in the tab-completion
discussion which I just mentioned in passing, but the original issue
was precisely to NOT introduce any more naked excepts when possible.

So let's start by fixing that commit, and we'll look into the
tab-completers as part of a more general problem of providing ways of
controlling silencing of exceptions...

But I need some sleep now, and won't be able to look again at any of
this until the weekend.