[IPython-dev] %dhis vs. cd -TAB

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Fri Sep 7 10:51:09 CDT 2007

Also, a note about this:
"""
	* IPython/Magic.py (magic_dhist): restore %dhist. No, cd -TAB is
	not the same, it's not self-documenting, doesn't allow range
	selection, and sorts alphabetically instead of numerically.
"""

I'll change this to 0-pad the dhist entries in order to make up for
non-numeric sorting.

Maybe it's just me, but I almost never used dhist, and use cd -TAB all
the time. When you set your terminal scroll buffer to some large size,
the numeric ranges become of academic use as well.

Not that un-removing these really matters to me all that much; there
is plenty of namespace available for everything. My concern when
deprecating these must have been the thought that newcomers to IPython
may learn "wrong" (sub-optimal) ways of doing this. But this is mostly
a documentation matter, and neglecting backwards compatibility is a
no-go at this point. I just wish there was a way to "hide" these from
the new users, just like I wish there was a way to hide backticks from
Python syntax :-P