[IPython-dev] editor synchronization

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Tue Sep 11 11:43:55 CDT 2007

On 9/9/07, Vivian De Smedt <vivian@vdesmedt.com> wrote:

>  This mail to propose a new feature for IPython together with a proposition
> of implementation.

The idea is a good one, but I'm not sure whether we should have an
extra hook for this; the plain editor hook should be enough, as well
as some flag that signals ipython to run the editor hook for the line
on all these "hot spots". This will work for some editors (like,
apparently, ultraedit) that will reuse an existing editor instance for
this.

The svn snapshot is here:

http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/nightly_svn/

But don't bother sending in the patch quite yet. I think we should add
a few more editors and throw this kind of configuration to
ipy_editors.py to really get some mileage for this, in the svn
version. As it stands, we are releasing 0.8.2 Real Soon Now (this
week), and I'd rather wait until after that.

It's a good feature, though, and will definitely end up in the svn in
one form or another.