[IPython-dev] Creating a Mathemtica notebook like GTK Interface for sympy

Laurent Dufréchou ldufrechou@marport....
Thu Apr 3 12:18:53 CDT 2008

If you want to base your code on ipython1 check ipython1-cocoa branch from
barry wark.

bzr branch http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ipython/ipython/ipython1-cocoa

If you want to base your code on ipython0 check stable bzr branch /gui/wx
that is an updated wx version based on the gtk example of
http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/Cookbook/EmbeddingInGTK.

bzr branch http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ipython/ipython/stable-dev

Based on which branch you'll choose to work on I think one of us will be
willing to help you ;)

Laurent

2008/4/3, Philipp Strack <philipp.strack@gmail.com>:

> Hello,
>
> I applied for the Google Summer of Code with the proposal to create a GTK
> based
> GUI for the python based computer algebra system sympy. The GUI should be
> able
> to graphically present formulas and graphs inside the document. This GUI
> could
> be seen as a lightweight replacement for sage notebook. I want to create
> an
> alternative to the sage webbased interface because I think GTK is a
> superior
> technology for creating an interactive interface. A gtk interface will be
> much
> easier to maintain and extend in the long run, because things like
> autocompletion, syntaxchecking, etc can be easily implemented with a
> custom
> gtk.TextBuffer and gtk.TextView. This GUI will follow the notebook system
> of
> Mathematica/Maple/Mupad.
>
> Because I want to avoid any duplication of work, I wanted to ask:
>
> Whether someone is working on something similar? What are the points to
> take
> care of to make it later work with ipython?
>
> I am thankful for every feedback on the proposal
>
> Philipp

Laurent Dufrechou
Hardware Engineering

Marport