[IPython-dev] Creating a Mathemtica notebook like GTK Interface for sympy

Laurent Dufréchou laurent.dufrechou@gmail....
Thu Apr 3 12:43:53 CDT 2008

Just in case you want to start on ipython 0.
I've replaced the gtk.textview control by scintilla one (on wx) thus to be
more multi-gui aware.
It exist a scintilla widget for gtk, so should be quite simple to have a GTK
ipython console running with low effort.

-----Message d'origine-----
De : ipython-dev-bounces@scipy.org [mailto:ipython-dev-bounces@scipy.org] De
la part de Philipp Strack
Envoyé : jeudi 3 avril 2008 18:57
À : ipython-dev@scipy.net
Objet : [IPython-dev] Creating a Mathemtica notebook like GTK Interface for
sympy

Hello,

I applied for the Google Summer of Code with the proposal to create a GTK
based
GUI for the python based computer algebra system sympy. The GUI should be
able
to graphically present formulas and graphs inside the document. This GUI
could
be seen as a lightweight replacement for sage notebook. I want to create an
alternative to the sage webbased interface because I think GTK is a superior
technology for creating an interactive interface. A gtk interface will be
much
easier to maintain and extend in the long run, because things like
autocompletion, syntaxchecking, etc can be easily implemented with a custom
gtk.TextBuffer and gtk.TextView. This GUI will follow the notebook system of
Mathematica/Maple/Mupad.

Because I want to avoid any duplication of work, I wanted to ask:

Whether someone is working on something similar? What are the points to take
care of to make it later work with ipython?

I am thankful for every feedback on the proposal

Philipp