[IPython-dev] Creating a Mathemtica notebook like GTK Interface for sympy

Thu Apr 3 16:50:48 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 11:26:49PM +0200, Laurent Dufrechou wrote:
> Well, the decision (Gael, barry correct me) must be better based on what you
> want to do with your ipython:
> -ipython0 is currently working as a much greater python shell replacement.
> -ipython1 enhance this concept + one shell that can run commands on multiple
> pc at the same time.
> (for distributed computing).

Well, I can hardly see how it would be possible to display results with
other tools then text using ipython0 without horrible hacks. So I would
say ipython1 is your good option.

Ipython0 is a nice text-based interactive environement: you send it
strings, it returns strings.

Ipython1 is a nice abstract of the python execution engine. It will have
more, but currently it is mainly a network-transparent execution engine,
with some code lying around it being organized.

It seems to me you want more ipython1 than ipython0, because you want
more than text, and because anyhow you will be writing your own GUI code
on top of the execution engine.

Cheers,

Gaël