[IPython-dev] Embedding IPython in wx

Jens Thomas j.m.h.thomas@dl.ac...
Thu Apr 24 04:12:52 CDT 2008

Hello,

I don't know if this will be of any help, but I thought I'd mention it
just so that people on this list are aware of it.

I work on a GUI for chemistry (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ccp1gui/)
and have been experimenting with ipython as an interactive shell for our
code. As we use Tkinter as our GUI toolkit, I took the very helpful code
for GTK from http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/Cookbook/EmbeddingInGTK and
translated it to Tk. You can find the code in the "ipython" directory if
you check out the code from CVS on sourceforge.

You might find this useful as I think Tkinter is still the 'default' GUI
for Python and so generally pretty easy to install on all platforms -
even if it is getting rather long in the tooth... ;-)

Do get back to me if you have any questions.

Best wishes,

Jens

Laurent Dufréchou wrote:

> Hi igor,
>

> Depends on wich ipython you want a GUI:
>

> -------------------------------------
>
> If you’re looking after ipython0 check latest bzr stable branch in
> gui/wx, there is a demo app wxIpython, that is based on ipython_view.py
>
> (install bazarr + “*bzr branch lp:ipython/stable”)*
>
> If you’re looking with a dev env with ipython0 console, editra :
> http://editra.org/ has now a plugin with ipython0 shell.(in beta
> currently)
>

> http://code.google.com/p/editra-plugins/wiki/IPythonShellPlugin
>

> There is some functionality missing:
>
> -History reload on startup
>
> -and check all %magic keys
>
> -some doc J
>

> But start to be quite usable.(any bug report welcomes)
>

> If you want to help you’re welcome.

> If it is Ipython1, then there is a lot of work for you too J. Barry is
> working on a cocoa backend, (can help to copy some parts) and there is
> a starting demo on wx too. Wx one need refresh.
>

> Laurent

Jens Thomas,                email:  j.m.h.thomas@dl.ac.uk
STFC Daresbury Lab,         tel:    +44-1925-603849
Warrington,                 fax:    +44-1925-603634
WA4 4AD,  UK.               http:   http://www.cse.scitech.ac.uk