[IPython-dev] wxIPython and wx

Igor Sylvester ias@alum.mit....
Fri Apr 25 00:31:45 CDT 2008

Hi Laurent,

I was playing with wxIPython today and I wasn't able to spawn new wx objects
within the shell.

I ran:

>>> import wxIPython
>>> wxIPython.MyApp().MainLoop()

Then, in the wxIPython shell, I typed:

>>> import wx
>>> wx.Frame(None).Show()

And the python process died with the following.

Warning! Hook 'show_in_pager' is not one of ['editor', 'fix_error_editor',
'result_display', 'input_prefilter', 'shutdown_hook', 'late_startup_hook',
'generate_prompt', 'generate_output_prompt']
Warning! Hook 'shell_hook' is not one of ['editor', 'fix_error_editor',
'result_display', 'input_prefilter', 'shutdown_hook', 'late_startup_hook',
'generate_prompt', 'generate_output_prompt']
^[[A^[[BXlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x31e8)!
Xlib: sequence lost (0x131e8 > 0x4bd8) in reply type 0x0!
The program 'python' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadImplementation (server does not implement operation)'.
  (Details: serial 12776 error_code 17 request_code 20 minor_code 0)

I am about to look at the editra source to see how you embed an ipython
shell.  But, I'd appreciate if you have any insight into this.
Specifically, are you able to reproduce this error, or is it a bug in my X?

Thanks.

Igor