[IPython-dev] wxIPython and wx

Laurent Dufréchou laurent.dufrechou@gmail....
Fri Apr 25 02:47:47 CDT 2008

Hi igor,

Ok I see you want to instanciate wx object from within the shell.

I haven’t tested GUI direct call within the widget.

As the widget is wx one, there should not have error and could be possible. I had a discussion with a guy previously on this mailing because he wanted to play with wx/qt/etc with ipython widget.

The main problem is that in that case he needed in fact that ipython shell run in it’s own process separated from wx one.

In your case, do you want to only interact with YOUR wx loop (that is the wx ipython widget loop)?

If yes, should be possible. I will take a look at your bug tonight (in ~12hours).

Sure it can work, and moreover should be really interesting to do that J!

I suspect that the ipython instance (not the widget) behind the scene has not the same globals/locals scope as your root app.

So it can directly interact with wx loop. (perhaps, I’m saying dumb things).

I think we have to pass globals/locals to the ipython shell.(there is parameters for this, but haven’t tried it this well)

Will try tonight.

By the way on which linux are you working? (version needed too, to reproduce the bug)

On windows, doing that just spawn a window, and kill it instantaneously…

Regards,

Laurent