[IPython-dev] ipython1 and synchronous printing of stdout

Thu Aug 7 09:56:58 CDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 09:44:50AM -0400, Barry Wark wrote:
> Although I was initially a bit offended by your remarks,

Sorry, Barry, I really do not want to critisize or downplay your efforts.
I value a lot your opinion. I must confess what you are bringing up does
not solve at all the problems I am battling for with my frontend, so I
don't look at this on a high priority.

> I realize that we all have too much to do and not enough time to do it.
> I am not (and won't be) offended if you don't want to use the
> notification framework. We should always prefer working code and I am
> looking forward to benefiting from your efforts, no mater what
> architecture you choose.

Well, I have come to realize that one of the reasons why we where having
this discussion, and not understanding eachothers is that our calls are
different: you want asyncrhonous, I want synchronous. As a result, you
have much bigger requirements on a notification framework to the engine
than I do.

I have been fighting with other difficulties, like solid trapping of
output (not only at the Python level), redirection of stdin in a GUI
eventloop, subprocess manipulation... For what I am trying to do, these
are much more important than a notification framework.

I will not be using the notification framework, but my code is
opensource, and moreover in a DVCS. I strongly hope that you will be able
to benefit from it to move foward with your goals. In addition, I am more
than happy if my code gets refactored to include this. Let me be clear, I
don't consider at all that this code belongs to me in any way. It is
there to be refactored, and I will try to make it as easy as possible for
people to do it. But for the time being I need to get something working.

Cheers,

Gaël