[IPython-dev] Comments about IPython.frontend, getting ready for merge of ipython-sync-frontend

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Aug 8 17:49:15 CDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 7:15 AM, Barry Wark <barrywark@gmail.com> wrote:

> Besides trivial chanes (e.g. spliitting frontendbase into frontendbase
> and asyncfrontendbase et al), the most significant diff between Gael's
> branch and mine is that I've made the concept of an execution Block
> more explicit. Instead of just an input string, a block is now an
> object containing prompts, input and output as well as, possibly,
> sub-blocks. The Block maps, conceptually, pretty directly to a
> Mathematica notebook cell (you can see the Block definition in my
> ipython-frontend2 brach:IPython/frontend/frontendbase.py). I believe
> that the API for FrontEndBase can be made largely backwards
> compatible, but some of the internal implementation must change to
> support passing around Blocks instead of just strings.
>
> OK, so I'd say the conflicts will not be too serious. They may be
> serious enough to merge one at a time, especially working up to a
> release. I'll hold off on my branch until things settle out from
> Gael's merge.

Sounds good.  Yes, I do worry about breaking too much right before a
release.  Even though we know this will be somewhat of a 'tech
preview' release, we don't want to have a massive mess for users.

I'm working on reviewing the other branches and merging the rest right now.

>> And will you be attending SciPy?  It seems Brian will be there, and so
>> will Gael and Stefan, so we may have a bunch of people simultaneously
>> available to discuss and hack (and anyone else on the list who will
>> make it to scipy is obviously welcome!).
>
> Unfortunately, I can't make it. I'd be happy to check in remotely
> (Skype etc.) while you all are working if that makes sense.

Bummer.  We'll irc/skype then.  We should plan on having you come down
to Berkeley sometime later though.  I'll look into the logistics of a
sprint at Berkeley for perhaps early next year.