[IPython-dev] Test failures

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Aug 11 23:14:30 CDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 8:03 PM, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 07:42:48PM -0700, Fernando Perez wrote:
>> Do you actually need to use make_ipython?  Would it work for you
>> instead to get the ipython isntance via ipapi.get()?
>
> Well, I need a ipython instance, and I need to create it, so I do believe
> I need to call make_ipython.

Again, why not use ipapi.get()?  That object has the public API, and
if you need for now to hook deeper, it keeps the actual ipython
instance inside as .IP.  This is a much better solution than using a
call that's dangerous,  deprecated and 'private' (meaning,  it's not
in ipapi,  which we intend to  expose the visible face of the ipython
instance).

Please let me know why that solution wouldn't work for you so we can
help you get the right thing working,  because the make_IPython call
is very likely to *never* work (there's simpyl way too many global
side effects floating around).