[IPython-dev] Test failures

Mon Aug 11 23:24:14 CDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 09:14:30PM -0700, Fernando Perez wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 8:03 PM, Gael Varoquaux
> <gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 07:42:48PM -0700, Fernando Perez wrote:
> >> Do you actually need to use make_ipython?  Would it work for you
> >> instead to get the ipython isntance via ipapi.get()?

> > Well, I need a ipython instance, and I need to create it, so I do believe
> > I need to call make_ipython.

> Again, why not use ipapi.get()?  That object has the public API, and
> if you need for now to hook deeper, it keeps the actual ipython
> instance inside as .IP.  This is a much better solution than using a
> call that's dangerous,  deprecated and 'private' (meaning,  it's not
> in ipapi,  which we intend to  expose the visible face of the ipython
> instance).

But, I don't get it. I need to create an ipython0 instance, not to
retrieve an existing one. This is pretty-much the entry point of my
frontend: to create an ipython0 instance. I don't see how ipapi.get can
help me on that. I actually don't see how I can do it without
make_IPython. If you have something better to suggest, I am happy to use
it.

Cheers,

Gaël