[IPython-dev] Thoughts re Leo and Ipython notebooks.

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sun Aug 17 04:07:22 CDT 2008

Hi Edward,

2008/7/28 Edward K. Ream <edreamleo@gmail.com>:
> I've just posted some thoughts re Leo as a compound document:
> http://groups.google.com/group/leo-editor/browse_thread/thread/759d20f81119e5ca
>
> Among other things, the post discusses adding spreadsheet-like features to
> Leo in a fairly easy way.  These are just ideas, intended to encourage
> further invention.
>
> My intuition tells me that IPython folk might find these ideas useful or
> provocative:
>
> - Leo could be considered an IPython notebook.
>
> - Generalized spreadsheets might be useful in recording scientific
> experiments.
>
> - Scientific experiments might want to generate notebook/spreadsheet entries
> using scripts.
>
> - The post shows how to declare the "type" of scripts/nodes and show how to
> embed scripts of arbitrary types into notebook entries.
>
> Imo, we have only just scratched the surface of what can be done with
> scripts and notebooks.

While I don't use leo myself, I know Ville has continued to make
improvements to Leo integration, so there's definitely good things to
be found here.  You may have seen that we're now using the launchpad
resources much more, so if at any point in time you find yourself
writing a useful piece of code for the integration of the two that
requires changes to ipython, simply publish it in a branch under your
username on launchpad that we can access.  We'll be happy to review
the code, give you feedback, and merge it in if it all works out
(we're moving towards a regular cycle of reviewing all code that we
put up as much as possible).