[IPython-dev] New hooks suggestion: line buf, cursor pos

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net@gmail....
Sun Dec 7 14:32:45 CST 2008

>> In what sense?  Obviously, people will continue to want to use GUIs in
>> conjunction with IPython, correct?
>
> Yeah, but the current threaded shells are probably not needed. Most UI
> tookits can be made to work with PyOS_InputHook, so we don't need a
> different thread for ui mainloop and the raw_input.

Hmmm. I am not familiar with PyOS_InputHook, what does it do?

It would be great to get rid of all the threading tricks for sure!  Do
we have a prototype of using PyOS_InputHook?  By the name of this
method, I am not sure it will handle all the cases we need.

Also, we need to make sure that IPython can run Twisted in a thread
and all that integrates with what is done with the GUIs.  But, what
does PyOS_InputHook do?

>> Nice, what do you think the best way of handling this is?  Just
>> convert the ASCI colors to whatever the frontend needs?  What about
>
> Yes (they are typically called ANSI colors btw)

doh.

>> web based frontends?
>
> They can be converted to html. That's what I do in the qt ui.

OK, I won't worry about this then.