[IPython-dev] requesting guidance with a custom completer for a dictionary-like object

Darren Dale dsdale24@gmail....
Sun Dec 14 17:07:35 CST 2008

Hello,

I am working on a custom completer for h5py, which provides a nice interface
to hdf5 files with a dictionary-style interface. I would like to enable tab
completion for these h5py objects (which share a common ancestor called
_DictCompat), but I am testing with regular dictionaries.

If I have:

d={'a':{'b':1},'b':2}

I can currently do:

d['<tab>

and get

  a     b

if I do:

d['a<tab>

I would like to get:

d['a']

but I get

d['a'

and then if I do

d['a'<tab>

I get

d['a'a

Also, it is common to have deeply nested hierarchies with h5py, so I would
like to be able to do:

d['a'].<tab>

or

d['a']['<tab>

I think I remember hearing that IPython used to do tab completion of
dict-like objects, but the feature was removed because it was causing
problems with user code. I was hoping someone might remember how this could
be done, and could provide some guidance.

Thanks,
Darren