[IPython-dev] Leo's ipython plugin is complete

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Tue Feb 5 12:29:57 CST 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 7:54 PM, Edward Ream <edreamleo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In short, Leo's ipython plugin now goes way beyond my fondest hopes.

I would like to stress that this is extremely cool stuff, and provides
higher & deeper level of IPython integration than what any other
editor can boast about.

Notably, this allows using Leo as an "IPython workbook", where you
rapidly create and experiment with new functions, deal with data that
is stored in Leo nodes (both for input and output), create more
functions to deal with that data, etc. And all the time, all the
functions and data are persisted inside Leo nodes, so you don't need
to think about where to store stuff, cluttering your work directories
with files, etc. And your IPython hacks will no longer be "throwaway"
stuff, unless you really want it.

As my thesis project (if all the bureaucracy clears out), I am about
to create a convenient "workbook" approach to using IPython and Leo,
introducing lots of convenience stuff and fast approaches to deal with
data & code (without having to dwell into details of either IPython or
Leo scripting). All of it will end up as an IPython extension (trunk
at first), most of the Leo side is in place already.

It's all quite mindblowing stuff, really. And all of it is possible *now*.