[IPython-dev] Launchpad?

Glenn Tarbox, PhD glenn@tarbox....
Fri Feb 8 17:52:07 CST 2008

I've been a lurker for a little while now... have done some IPython hacking,
but definitely "get it"

On the subject of this thread, Launchpad / bzr.  I was concerned when I saw
IPython1 embrace hg.  While git has its warts (the most glaring being its
horrendous documentation), I'd make the unsupportable claim that its
technically superior to the alternatives...

But, technical issues aside...  Git is gonna win.  At the end of the day,
git is going to have a much higher adoption rate and will be a better engine
on which to progress...  more tools, more conversion utilities, much bigger
community, etc.  Its momentum and superior technical core will help overcome
its early documentation / porcelain problems.

So, this thread discusses bzr/launchpad... my though: whats up with bzr?
why did canonical go ahead and re-re-invent the wheel?  we had hg, git was
coming along... their time would have been much better spent building
something on top of git.

You already have a nice Trac site... I realize shedding the admin load would
be nice... but I'm guessing that with a hosted service that there's work...
and I'm also guessing that it works less well...  always does.  I cringe
when I need to go to sourceforge... launchpad / canonical are beginning to
show similar signs of commercial nastiness (closed source internal projects
etc).

I recommend staying away.

-glenn

--