[IPython-dev] Help testing new version of ipython1

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net@gmail....
Sat Feb 23 22:39:29 CST 2008

Hi all,

Over the last few weeks I have been beating on ipython1 to get it
ready for everyone to join the fun.  I just merged my branch with the
ipython1 trunk:

svn co http://ipython.scipy.org/svn/ipython/ipython1/trunk ipython1

Here are some of the highlights:

    * Completely reorganized documentation.  See docs and run
gen_html.py to create html docs from rst.

    * Lots or cleaning up and reorganization

    * Changed mostly everything to the official ipython1 coding
convention of lowercase_with_underscores

    * Created a development guidelines doc for ipython1 development
(see in docs/development.txt).

    * Massive refactoring of the parallel computing parts of ipython1.

    * Much better tests.  Run "trial ipython1" to see if they pass :-)

    * Fully up-to-date docs of how to use ipython1 for parallel computing.

I would love help testing this new version before I make it public:

    * Download install and run "trial ipython1" to test it

    * If you are using ipython1 for parallel computing, check out the
new docs and examples and they try it out for yourself.

    * Look over the new developer guidelines in docs/development.txt

Here is my plan:

    * Wait a few days for people to try this out and test it.

    * Meanwhile I am going to put together a more public announcement
that includes a detailed list of API changes (there were lots).

    * Upload the new html docs to the website.

    * Release ipython1 0.3 and then move development of it over to
launchpad (on a trial basis).

Starting next Friday, a number of us (including Fernando) will be at a
sprint, so my goal is to have all of this done by then.  At that
point, we should be ready for everyone to get organized and begin
hacking on ipython1 with a furry.