[IPython-dev] Help testing new version of ipython1
Sat Feb 23 22:39:29 CST 2008
Over the last few weeks I have been beating on ipython1 to get it
ready for everyone to join the fun. I just merged my branch with the
svn co http://ipython.scipy.org/svn/ipython/ipython1/trunk ipython1
Here are some of the highlights:
* Completely reorganized documentation. See docs and run
gen_html.py to create html docs from rst.
* Lots or cleaning up and reorganization
* Changed mostly everything to the official ipython1 coding
convention of lowercase_with_underscores
* Created a development guidelines doc for ipython1 development
(see in docs/development.txt).
* Massive refactoring of the parallel computing parts of ipython1.
* Much better tests. Run "trial ipython1" to see if they pass :-)
* Fully up-to-date docs of how to use ipython1 for parallel computing.
I would love help testing this new version before I make it public:
* Download install and run "trial ipython1" to test it
* If you are using ipython1 for parallel computing, check out the
new docs and examples and they try it out for yourself.
* Look over the new developer guidelines in docs/development.txt
Here is my plan:
* Wait a few days for people to try this out and test it.
* Meanwhile I am going to put together a more public announcement
that includes a detailed list of API changes (there were lots).
* Upload the new html docs to the website.
* Release ipython1 0.3 and then move development of it over to
launchpad (on a trial basis).
Starting next Friday, a number of us (including Fernando) will be at a
sprint, so my goal is to have all of this done by then. At that
point, we should be ready for everyone to get organized and begin
hacking on ipython1 with a furry.
More information about the IPython-dev