[IPython-dev] Fwd: Multi-line history problems in ipython (mac osx)

Boyd Waters bwaters@nrao....
Wed Jan 16 16:38:01 CST 2008

On Jan 16, 2008, at 2:12 PM, Michael VanLandingham wrote:

> I recall that there was a bug filed in October regarding tab-
> completion / rlcompleter (Boyd filed it).   The thing is, the multi-
> line history problem doesn't occur in the stock python 2.5.1on
> Leopard.  It works fine.

I think Apple tweaked something with the update to 10.5.1

Can you point me to the bug that I filed? I'll take another look.

>   But it doesn't work in iPython.  I also
> don't fully understand readline or editline, so I don't know (and
> haven't found the time to discover) where the problem originates.

I suspect that something isn't getting bound correctly in .editrc -- I
can probably deal with this in an ipython profile but not sure. Again,
if I can understand what "multi-line history" means maybe I can be
more intelligent. Looking at that bug report may remind me.

> I can/will log a bug, but I'd like to figure out the specifics -- I
> don't think that 'multi-line history in iPython borked' would get the
> right attention.  If anyone has anymore insight as to _why_ this
> occurs, please let me know.
>

> Meanwhile I think I'll try to compile readline for my system -- it's
> better software (than libedit) anyway.

Readline is easy to compile on Leopard; I use MacPorts to build a
Python 2.5.1 with GNU readline. There are a number of dependencies,
mostly internationalization stuff, if I recall correctly; I have all
that solved via MacPorts. I can provide these port files, or a binary
installer for a Python 2.5.1 with readline, if you like.

I see a mention of dtrace support in Apple's Python. Hmm. I don't know
that the binary needs to do anything special to provide dtrace -- I
don't think you need to compile in any "hooks", that's the whole point
of dtrace. In any event I'll take a look at Apple's source, if any,
and see if we can't get a Leopard Python/readline set up.

But I have a strong preference for using the system Python in Leopard,
so I'd like to solve the libedit readline issues if possible.

   - boyd

Boyd Waters
Scientific Programmer
National Radio Astronomy Observatory